More people are leaning towards buying products that are produced in ecologically and socially responsible ways. Specifically, there are people who favour “organic” products and in turn, companies market their products as such. However, how can a customer be sure if they really are buying organic? Here is where certifications come in. Certifications are meant to reassure you that the product you're buying reaches a specified standard. Fortunately, there is a specific standard that will guide you in purchasing products from companies that claim themselves to offer organic. That is the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
DulcieDot is proud to say that the fabric we use in our garments is GOTS-certified and our manufacturers in India are FairTrade, SA8000 and GOTS-Certified. In this blog, we will let you know more about GOTS and why it is a big deal in the garment industry.
What is GOTS
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is an internationally-recognized standard for organic fibres such as cotton, silk, wool and bamboo. The goal of the standard is to encourage production of high-quality, environmentally friendly textiles. It is founded by four organisations:
- Organic Trade Association (OTA, USA)
- Internationaler Verband der Naturtextilwirtschaft (IVN, Germany),
- The Soil Association (UK)
- Japan Organic Cotton Association (JOCA, Japan)
The scope of GOTS concerns the whole textile supply chain, from raw material harvesting through responsible manufacturing, to labeling in order to provide genuine assurance to the end customer.
Criteria for GOTS Certification
- Raw materials must be farmed in accordance with standards set by the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM).
- Farmers must also use natural fertilizers and pesticides instead of chemicals.
Processing and Manufacturing
- The organic fibre must be distinguishable from the conventional fibre.
- Dyes, auxiliaries, and process chemicals must be safe for use.
- Azo dyes releasing carcinogenic compounds, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, toxic heavy metals, GMOs and their enzymes are not allowed.
- Textile treatment should use oxygen bleach instead of chlorine bleach.
- Chemical, energy, and water usage must all be recorded in detail in wet processing units.
- Waste water must be treated in a treatment plant
- Proper sludge disposal is a must
- Chemicals such as formaldehyde, nickel and chrome, must not be present in the raw ingredients or finished goods.
Packaging and Labeling
- Packaging and printing must not have PVCs
- Paper or cardboard used in packing must be recycled, or certified by FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) and PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification).
- Light, wash, rub fastness, and shrinkage of finished products must be checked
Social and Humanitarian Qualifications
- Working conditions should be safe and hygienic
- Pay must be acceptable
- Discrimination and child labour are prohibited
GOTS-Certified vs. Traditional Cotton
Although organic cotton is more expensive than traditional cotton, the value you get from organic cotton is worth it because it meets high-level environmental criteria. They are also more durable and of high quality.
Why Buy GOTS-Certified Garments
Buying GOTS-certified garments poses a lot of advantages. First, wearing organic clothing encourages farming that produces healthy soil, reduces soil erosion and health hazards for humans and wildlife. Second, clothes made of GOTS-certified textiles also have minimal to no microfibre shed that end up in our seas. Also, wearing GOTS-certified garments means saving you from textiles that can cause allergies, irritations, and even weakening of the immune system. Patronising GOTS-certified products is also a way of contributing to reducing pollution. The healthy soil used in organic farming functions to reduce CO2 emissions in our atmosphere.
DulcieDot Uses GOTS-Certified Fabrics
As part of our advocacy, we made sure that our garments in DulcieDot are made out of GOTS-certified fibres. The textiles we use in our products are made in a healthy environment, free of dangerous chemicals, genetically engineered materials, toxic fertilisers, and pesticides. This ensures a healthy environment for farmers, workers, communities, and the earth as a whole. So if you opt to shop at DulcieDot, you are shopping responsibly. Your purchasing decision is kind to your skin and the planet.